Update on August 23, 2017: Here is the newer version.
Originally published on March 28, 2015
Updated on May 22, 2016
In this post I would like to share my modified Genesis Sample starter child theme based on Genesis Sample 2.2.3.
Download link is at the bottom.
Below are a few changes/additions to Genesis Sample:
Inline Mobile Responsive Hamburger menu
- Renamed “After Header Menu” back to “Primary Navigation”
- Removed Header Right widget area
- Repositioned Primary Navigation menu from below the header to inside header to the right
- CSS changes so the hamburger menu continues to remain at the right and not drop below the site title/logo until at least 440px
The default WP/Genesis method for setting up logo is as a background image. I prefer using the regular
img element in the HTML output instead.
To use image logo in place of the site title text,
- in functions.php, look for the block of code with comment text of “Add support for custom header” and change the width and height to twice that of your desired logo display size. The default is 600 x 160 meaning, we are going to show the logo at 300 x 80.
- while there, uncomment
add_filter( 'genesis_attr_site-description', 'abte_add_site_description_class' );
- go to Appearance > Header and upload your 2x sized logo image
- in style.css set the 1x width of logo for
Bye bye Blog Page Template
When Bill says something you just do it, no questions asked.
Also added code in functions.php to remove the Blog Page Template meta box from Genesis theme settings.
Archive Page Template – Shouldn’t it be called Sitemap?
Search form input placeholder text – Go away on focus
When clicked inside:
- Removed fixed pixels width for .title-area
- Replaced pixels width for footer widget areas with %s
- Added CSS for improving the appearance of standard Gravity Forms forms. Before -> After