In this article I provide a working example of how Bill Erickson's code can be used as a foundation for creating a typical front page in WordPress using Genesis. Our front page is going to be made up of these sections:
- Header (sitewide) - site title/logo at left and custom menu in 'Header Right' widget area.
- Home Slider - Full width Soliloquy slider.
- Home Horizontal Opt-in (appears below header on inner pages) - using Genesis eNews Extended plugin.
- 2-column (50/50) Home Featured section - Text widget at left and a image widget in the right.
- Home Blog Posts section - 4 Posts set to appear side-by-side using Genesis column classes via Genesis Sandbox Featured Content Widget plugin's widget.
- Home Testimonials section - Hard-coded i.e., pre-set (can be set to be pulled from a Testimonials CPT, but not covering that now) Testimonials text being shown 1 at a time with carousel powered by bxSlider.
- Soliloquy Premium
- Regenerate Thumbnails
- Genesis Sandbox Featured Content Widget
- Genesis eNews Extended
- Image Widget
Step 1Download jquery.bxslider.zip and extract its contents. Upload ‘jquery.bxslider.css’ and ‘images’ folder to your child theme directory/css (create, if not existing). Upload ‘jquery.bxslider.min.js’ to your child theme directory/js (create, if not existing). Create a file named bxslider-init.js to the same location having the following:
To view the full content, please sign up for the membership.
Already a member? Log in below or here.